Adore U was founded by Tasmanian designer Jasmine Shepherd. Her resin jewellery is sold in upmarket retail outlets around the state and online. We think her work is stunning, and would make a fabulous Tasmanian holiday souvenir (just the right size for hand-luggage!). After a little gentle persuasion, Jasmine agreed to share her story with us!
Jasmine Shepherd: We Adore U
I have lived in Tasmania since I was six, but it wasn’t until I lived in London for 18 months that I truly appreciated how lucky we are. Tasmania is without a doubt one of the most beautiful places to live in the world. My name is Jasmine Shepherd; I am a loving mum of two-year-old Ollie, a wife and a business owner.
Tasmania is where I met my husband, purchased our house, had our baby, and it has always felt like home. I remember travelling as a child and the excitement I used to feel as the flight came over this green, plush homeland. Even back then I used to love the beauty!
Adore U is my business and as a designer I take great pride in promoting my products as “Handmade in Tasmania”. There is something about saying “handmade in Tasmania” that says quality. When we lived in London there were Tasmanian-made products in the local supermarket we went to, and I felt a huge amount of pride. I didn’t know that one day it would be my products with the same quality label.
I started Adore U in April 2010 when my adorable son Ollie was just four months old. The intention was never to start a business, but I love to keep busy and like to have a project on the go. So when my little man was sleeping I would be busy starting what has turned out to be a really rewarding and successful business.
Adore U was launched on a Facebook page; I had no expectations. Friends started to like my page and then people I didn’t know. When I look back now I have to giggle; it was so amateur, the photos were poor quality, the prices ridiculous. There was so much to learn! To be honest before I set up my page, I didn’t even know businesses were on Facebook but I soon fell into the swing of things and could not believe the power of networking online. It was so exciting and before I knew it, orders were coming through from people I didn’t know… yay!
Handmade in Tasmania… and Sold
12 months ago we built a website for Adore U which has given us great exposure, including an online store. People can now purchase our range worldwide. Given the quality of our beautiful range we have been approached by some of Tasmania’s most exclusive boutiques and galleries.
- Gallery Salamanca ~ 65 Salamanca Place, Hobart, Tasmania ~ a beautiful gallery showcasing Australian, notably Tasmanian, artistic talent. Located in the historical Salamanca, well worth a visit next time you are in the area.
- Aspect Design ~ 79 Salamanca Place, Hobart ~ featuring unique jewellery designs
- Lime Gifts ~ 145 Hobart Road, Launceston, Tasmania ~ a fantastic place to shop when looking for something unique, or an exclusive gift for a friend and of course yourself. Lime has that perfect gift or item for all areas of the home, including kitchen, garden, bathroom, general homewares as well as unique gifts. Located in Kings Meadows, Launceston Lime is loved by all.
- Saffire Freycinet ~ Coles Bay, Tasmania ~ Saffire has just been named Top Luxury Accommodation at the Australian Tourism Awards. It’s a premium boutique property that is truly in touch with the beauty and depth of nature. Staying at Saffire is an experience designed to enrich and uplift, giving a new perspective in this unique environment. A must visit for anyone travelling.
- Rosehip & Co Homeware and Gifts ~ Shop 8/50 Bridge Street, Richmond, Tasmania ~ tucked away in historical Richmond, this delightful boutique gift shop is a must see
- Scottsdale Arts and Framing ~ King Street, Scottsdale ~ welcomes patrons with the works of celebrated and emerging artists in warm, contemplative and contemporary surroundings
- Under the Oak ~ Ulverstone ~ this new boutique is full of amazing Tasmanian handmade items, the range is extensive and the quality is fabulous. Take a peek if you’re in the area.
Resin Jewellery: Challenging but Beautiful
My husband is an amazing support. He might regret it now but he introduced me to resin as a Christmas gift (he knows me well). I was not really sure about it (and a little reluctant at first) but then I used it and quickly fell in love. I’ve now included a large range of beautiful resin. Resin is challenging to work with, the end results can be effected by so many things including temperature and humidity, not to mention a sneaky bit of dust or fibre from clothing. But when you can perfect it, the outcomes are amazing. Adore U resin pendants and rings are set in quality silver plated bezel settings and take approximately three days to complete. We have recently started making personalised pendants which have been really popular for Christmas gifts and I am sure I will be kept very busy leading up to Mother’s Day.
I am always looking at ways to keep things fresh and new and when ideas keep coming back to me, I know I need to take action. After falling in love with the tactile nature of sea glass, I have released our new Zero Degrees range. These romantic hand strung glass beads have been tumbled with water and sand to re-create the actions of waves and to produce a beautiful frosty texture, similar to that of sea glass. Our Zero Degrees range is finished using quality sterling silver, making these a gorgeous new addition to any jewellery collection.
Before Christmas, I lost a loved one. Since then, I have taken some time to reevaluate the direction of Adore U and I’m now (more than ever) committed to producing the highest quality items I can. I am using sterling silver at every opportunity for earrings and necklaces. In the past I have hit roadblocks, not being able to find the items I need. But now I have enrolled to study and further my skills and I look forward to working with silver and precious metals in the very near future.
21 July 2012: Readers now have the chance to win a gorgeous owl pendant, offered to Think Tasmania by Jasmine Shepherd: Owl Pendant Giveaway
When people think Adore U, they should think beauty, quality and most importantly: handmade in Tasmania.
If you like this article about Tasmania, and you’d like to read more, just subscribe to our newsletter or join us on social media via Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram. If you really like this article, and you want others to see it, you can choose one of the “share” options below. We’d love that!
Comments relevant to this article are always most welcome, just leave a reply below. But first… please confirm the date of this article. Have you found something current, or is this ancient information? Either way, thanks for your company and come back again soon.