One of the blessings of living at Dennes Point on Bruny Island is that an 850 metres walk from my home takes me to the Jetty Café and Art at the Point Gallery. Here all available ingredients for the senses will be experienced that will appeal to locals and the visiting tourists.
Jetty Cafe: On the Menu
Orchestrated by Chris and Ray, it is sheer delight to see the choosing of fruit, vegetables and produce from the sea. All planted, caught or obtained, being delivered within half an hour from the garden on the pristine waters of Bruny Island.
Ray does not ‘torture’ food and all dishes he prepares have a lovely simplicity. A series of chalk boards list the dishes available.
Examples from a recent Jetty Cafe menu are:
- Greek style Pirates Bay Octopus, heirloom radish and local garden vegetable salad with fetta and white balsamic dressing
- Rannoch Farm Quail, date and tamarind marinade, green wheat freekah, pistachio & red cabbage salad & pomegranate dressing
- Local mussel & Southern calamari stewed in heirloom tomato broth with saffron and fennel
- Bruny Island rabbit, sage and forest mushroom pie, Dutch cream potato mash & pepper berry jam
- Willie Smith’s organic apple baked with yummy stuff, Valhalla vanilla bean ice-cream and pear syrup
Ray and Kris are also developing a diverse wine collection. Look at the list when you visit.
The Jetty Café is a wonderful place to gather the right mix of people and be happy. To enrich and nourish. Aren’t we lucky!
Michael and Gabrielle Morgan moved from Phillip Island in Victoria to live on Bruny Island last March. The semi-seclusion suits them both; Gabrielle likes to pursue her writing interests, while Michael paints. Gabrielle has been published in regional newspapers and magazines; since researching her family history she has published four genealogy articles. She was fascinated by links to Tasmania with some of her forbears. This has intensified her interest in Tasmania and she has been reading much of its history since arriving here.
Photos supplied to Think Tasmania by Michael and Gabrielle Morgan.